Nest construction...who likes a puzzle?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by KenK, Jun 22, 2011.

1. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    I have five pieces of plywood left over from another project. Every piece is cut clean and square, want to minimize cutting and maximize the number of nest boxes (or holes) I can get from it. Would like to put slanted top(s) on to keep birds from sitting on it.

Makes my head hurt. Anybody care to do my engineering work for me?

1 piece 2'x4'
    2 pieces 2'x2'
    2 pieces 1'x2'

2. MuckyPuppy

MuckyPuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    UK
    Can't help you with the nest boxes as I have Dyscalculia but most of my family lives in Georgia. I currently live in the UK, hubby is English, and I miss my family, grits, biscuits and gravy, grape jelly, IHOP, Stone Mountain, Atlanta, Peachtree and just about everything else. [​IMG]

Edited to say: I hope someone will be along soon to help you. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  3. KenK

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    None of that is on the menu tonight but I will keep a thought for you as we sit down to dine tonight on our zipper peas cooked in bacon grease, squash fried in cornmeal batter, taters, sliced tomatoes and cucumbers and cornbread. Most all grown in our garden or my FIL's garden.

4. philintheblank

philintheblank Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2011
    Edmonton
    hope this helps

[​IMG]

Picture edited, almost had egg on my face haha, hopefully not too many people saw my mistake [​IMG]
    I made my nesting boxes 12x12x12 and my hens like them just fine, so these ones should be big enough

5. MuckyPuppy

MuckyPuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    UK
    All of our tomatoes (outside) are still green as it is not hot enough yet. So I'll make fried green tomatoes tomorrow!! [​IMG]

Edited to say: Wow philintheblank your quick.

6. KenK

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    I appreciate your effort philintheblank. OCD is a terrible thing. I wasted about four hours today doodling trying to come up with a better plan. I've got more wood I can use, don't have to use all this particular wood.

For reasons unclear to me, I am compelled to figure out how to make an even number of nest boxes using only this wood that does not waste a single scrap.

7. philintheblank

philintheblank Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2011
    Edmonton
    you have the lengths required to make 4-12'' nest boxes, but you will need to find a way to make an extra divider... not sure how your going to do that without making the boxes themselves smaller, which would render them useless, they are pretty much as small as i would make them, also if you want a slanted top, you will have waste no matter what, if you could invert the angles on themselves you would save wood and cuts, but you dont have the dimensions required... i appreciate your dedication on trying to conserve materials, but there will always been some... when i do quotes for projects, wheater its for textile repairs, welding jobs or carpentry I always add 20% for waste, it seems to have served me well in the past as i hardly waste anything.

good luck with your project.

8. ginger c.

ginger c. Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Alabama
    Quote:bless your heart, being away from the South can be tough! [​IMG]

9. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Quote:Ok, I will show you my nest box. They are 12"x12" but the back is higher since I wanted a steep slope so none of the chickens would roost on it. In the front you can find a scrap piece of wood like I did. I don't know what it's called. It's about 1/2" x 3" (maybe?) and cut it to fit the front of my nest box.

[​IMG]

What you can do is measure the base length x how many boxes you want. If it's 2 then it would be 24 inches long (2 ft) by 13 inches wide. The extra inch is handy for the small piece of wood you add to the front of the nestbox. Know that you want the front at least 12" high and the side 12" wide.

Laying down your side piece of wood to figure the slant you want and draw a line down to the 12" mark on the front. Using a straight edge on the 12" mark you can pivet the straight edge to find the slant that works for you. That's how I did it. I also cut both pieces of plywood as one so I get the same measurement.

Once you figure out the slant you will measure the base to the top of the peak. I don't know how high that will be but that will give you the piece for the back. Make sure to measure width along the backside because it will be longer then 24". Always measure don't assume and cut. Like they say "measure twice cut once." Trust me on that.

Ok, next you will have to make a divider. It will be have the same angle as the side but will be a bit shorter due to the fact that it is "on" the base and not next to it. It will also be shorter in width because it is in the inside. It's just a divider so it doesn't have to be perfect. Just make it fit. Again, make sure to measure.

If you have ferring (sp?) strips they are pieces of wood that are 1/2" by 1" something like that. You will need them to support the center piece and along the top for the roof. You will have to measure and play with that. It's helpful on the base as well. Any small piece of scap wood will work for the supports. You can see a piece in the nestbox to give you an idea.

Using screws is much easier then nails. I hope this at least helps you out. I was planning on selling my nestboxes but I'm willing to share what I've learned..... lol.

One more thing.... it really helps to trace the pieces out before cutting so you know what you have. This way you can tell if you have enough material and you can make adjustments if needed. I hope this helps and makes sense.

Good luck and have fun.

10. vivan88

vivan88 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2011
    Thanks for sharing.It'S really a good post.You are a smart guy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by