Nest Discovery - are the eggs ok to eat?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by buckaroo's wife, Jul 11, 2010.

1. buckaroo's wife

buckaroo's wife Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    North Central Texas
    My 5 chickens have been laying for about 3 weeks now. I've been getting 2-3 eggs per day, and pretty pleased with that. I wasn't sure who exactly was laying but figured at this point in time 2-3 eggs daily was reasonable for the 5 of them. HOWEVER! Today, I discovered a nest of 11 eggs in the doghouse [​IMG] (obviously my dogs NEVER use it!) My question is - do I trash these eggs or are they ok to eat? [​IMG] Our temps are in the high 90s...but I know that's really no different than a hen sitting on them....please advise.

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I would trash them ..or fed them to my animals...thats just me though.
    But you can test them by floating them in a glass of water.... the sinkers are good..and the floaters are bad. (i think...lol)

3. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Yes, sinkers are good. Floaters indicate air developing inside and rottenness.

My very first layer laid 7 eggs in a hidden nest before i found it. Those were my first home grown eggs ever, so i tested all of them in a glass of water, and all of them sank, so i also ate all of them - and lived to tell the tale. [​IMG]

Our temperatures were in the 90s at the time also. I was very surprised that those eggs were o.k., but they were fine. Just not particularly fresh. [​IMG]

4. buckaroo's wife

buckaroo's wife Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    North Central Texas
    Thanks for the advice [​IMG] I did the float test, 5 sank and the other 6 were quasi-floating (at least one end up) so I tossed those. Looks like we'll be spending a few days in the coop! At least now I know another place to look for eggs HAHA!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by