Nest stealing hen

momma chickie

Songster
6 Years
May 6, 2016
I am on my second broody hen and I have a 4 yr old hen who's never been broody causing problems. It started out that Java wanted to lay an egg in the broody nest which was the favored box of the 7 hens. Then advanced to when the broody hen would get off of the nest, she would run in and sit on the eggs, leaving when broody hen returned. Now she bullies the broody hen off of the eggs so she can sit on them when ever she wants....tonight I went out and Java was not on the perch...looked in the nest box and broody hen was sitting on the wooden egg and Java was sitting on the brood hen's nest!
I don't think she has any interest in brooding for real...could it be she likes the warmth of the eggs? What can I do?
I did try moving the broody hen out and she went back to the nest box so I moved her nest box over to the less desirable position in the box and she was ok but it didn't change the other hen's behavior.

Attachments

• 20200430_084908.jpg
    20200430_084908.jpg
    325.3 KB · Views: 19
I did put her in chocken jail on the previous hatch day because she would not let up...all the hens had a fit when I closed of nest area....
Hatch day is going to be another barnyard upset, I know.

Back
Top Bottom