1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Nest Stealing!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by queenbeezz, Jun 13, 2011.

1. queenbeezz

queenbeezz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Orlando
    Just thought I'd share this with you. On the bottom is my Bantam Splash Cochin, "Splash". One the top is Gabby, a RIR, named so because she never shuts up. Always walking around talking.

Anyway, Splash has already hatched two batches of babies since Feb, raised them and done a good job at it. The nest they are in belongs to Gabby. She's been sitting now for about 2 and a half weeks. Almost to the finish line! Along comes Splash and takes over!. This is her pattern! She never sits a nest. It's like she counts the days on her little toes and BAM she steals the nest, finish hatching the babies and raises them!

[​IMG]

"MINE! NO! MINE!"

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    I love the pic. My chickens do that all of the time with egg laying but didn't think baout it happening with broodies. [​IMG]

3. queenbeezz

queenbeezz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Orlando
    My girls all want to lay in the same nest. There are 10 boxes in the coop but they will line up like planes on the runway to lay in ONE box. Sometimes they will double up in the box.

Splash, however, rarely will hatch her own chicks. Her last brood belonged to a silkie. My kids thought it would be funny to stick a goose egg under the silkie and when Splash stole the nest she hatched the gosling out too. She hatched out 4 silkie chicks plus a gosling, how she covered them all is beyond me! She is an excellent Mother.

4. Dutchgirl

Dutchgirl Not Dutch!

Apr 1, 2008
    U.S.A.
    My girls do the same. Occasionally I come in and find three to a box. [​IMG] Even more rarely I've found four... this is only possible with bantams. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by