1. NewChcikenmommy!

NewChcikenmommy! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Kingsland,Georgia
    I live in SE Georgia, very humid, VERY hot
    *What makes for the best nesting materials?
    *What do your chickens like best?
    *What nest/coop materials are best for composting? We have an organic garden and many flowerbeds that would benefit from the compost.
    *Is Food Grade DE safe for composting as well? (I'm sure this is an obvious one just wanting to be sure)

After reading through so many posts you guys have the best forum![​IMG]

2. Reyvaughn

Reyvaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    I'd assume yes for the DE in the compost bin.

I have used shavings, hay and dried, cut grass for my nest boxes so far. So far, I and my hens like the dried, cut grass the best. It needs to be changed a bit more often, but it smells fresher and I don't mind using something free and readily available. Did I mention is smells great? Of course, if you have allergies... Eh. [​IMG]

3. NewChcikenmommy!

Jul 9, 2011
    Kingsland,Georgia
    the grass is a good idea thanks!
    We don't use chemicals on our grass so yea that would be great!
    I have them in a small enclosure now as they are only a few weeks to a few days old and poop ALOT! haha I needed to get new shavings but I think I'll use the grass this time. Our local feed stores (despite the number of people that have chickens) won't carry DE so I'm having to get everything online.

4. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I agree. Y'all have made this a fantastic site.

My grandmother used straw in her's. she had about 40 hens in the country and if I remember 8 nest boxes. So you know I will lean more toward straw. I think is smells fresh too. HOT? Yes it is. Yesterday 97 and humidity unreal but I did get the roof on my coop.

5. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I use hay in my boxes . Never really changed it I just add to it. Works well & the chickens like it & I got 10 eggs out of 10 hens yesterday. I like to Bragg. LOL. Most folks on BYC say their girls all use the same nest boxes mine don't. More boxes more eggs is my theory.[​IMG]

6. pepperlady

pepperlady Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2011
    NewChcikenmommy! :

*Is Food Grade DE safe for composting as well? (I'm sure this is an obvious one just wanting to be sure)

I'm looking into starting to compost & here is my thought on this one, please correct me if I am wrong.[​IMG]

Don't insects & larvae help to break down the items in your compost? If so the DE might work against you. I'm sure that it isn't harmful as long as it is food grade, I'm just thinking it might slow down the time it takes to get broken down into usable compost.[​IMG]

7. NewChcikenmommy!

Jul 9, 2011
    Kingsland,Georgia
    Quote:I'm looking into starting to compost & here is my thought on this one, please correct me if I am wrong.[​IMG]

Don't insects & larvae help to break down the items in your compost? If so the DE might work against you. I'm sure that it isn't harmful as long as it is food grade, I'm just thinking it might slow down the time it takes to get broken down into usable compost.[​IMG]

really good question..lol
    well maybe once the DE is broken down by the chicken poop, rain etc bugs may be able to digest the compound?

8. pepperlady

pepperlady Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2011
    Well, I guess the rain could effect it, but I use the DE for fly control & it has already passed through the chickens & still manages to kill insects that climb on their excrement. Not sure about this one....let me know how it works out [​IMG]

9. erlibrd

erlibrd Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Oct 8, 2010
    mn
    I read the DE is no longer effective once it gets wet so it should be OK in the compost. I have been putting the used wood shavings with DE in my compost, I think it's doing good. You could hose it down after adding it to the pile.

10. NewChcikenmommy!

Jul 9, 2011
    Kingsland,Georgia
    Those of you that compost..what would be a good bin? We tried the plastic cans outside but everything seems to mold/mildew even though it gets proper air circulation..
    What do your bins look like?? Pics plz for my own ideas.
    Thanks!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by