Nestbox question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Stephine, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Stephine

Stephine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2016
    Sonoma
    We are having the coop built for us by someone who actually knows how to do such things.
    We have external nest boxes, 4 in one row and they just have 2x4s (set on the narrow side) dividing them. Is that sufficient or should I ask him to add plywood sides to divide the nests? I was surprised to see he built them like that.
    Thanks!!

2. Kmac1

Kmac1 ChickenAddict

May 22, 2016
    Kingfisher, Oklahoma
    From what I have read on BYC the hens like a little privacy when laying or nesting so I would have them divided. See photo. Willie[​IMG]

3. farmgirllvo

farmgirllvo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2016
    Who many hens do you have?

4. Stephine

May 30, 2016
    Sonoma
    I have 14 - I hope - they are 10 and 9 weeks old

5. ramsburgchicken

ramsburgchicken Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2016
    Here's some of ours. We also recycled a covered kitty litter box, two large wash tubs, two recycling bins and the girls claimed a bag of shavings [​IMG] as nesting boxes. We have 44 hens and 17 nesting boxes(including the bag of shavings..)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
  6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Do you have a pic?
    Some folks successfully use 'community nests' (space for multiple nests) with no dividers, I prefer dividers.

7. ramsburgchicken

ramsburgchicken Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2016

^^^^ this is worth a shot. Was horrible for us though. Silkies attacked each other. When we hatched chicks, we had a girl get off her nest to go attack another hen and then turn and attack her chick! It caused complete chaos to the point where hubby had to modify nesting area after dark. [​IMG] Guess it depends what breed(s) you have? We still have issues with our RIRs and BRs occasionally messing with the silkies with the boxes the way they are now. Wouldn't recommend it with a flock of commingled sizes like we have.

8. Stephine

May 30, 2016
    Sonoma
    Here's a picture (the coop is still being finished...) sorry, I only have a picture as part of our silly chicken news we send out to family...[​IMG]

9. HaloAmanda

HaloAmanda Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2016
    Norwalk, Connecticut

Does the outside part open for outside access to the eggs?

He's doing a beautiful job but I would try to close them in somehow. They are quite open and I think 4 boxes is on the low end for the amount of chickens.

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    That's a nice looking coop, very interesting construction.
    Is that cupola open for ventilation?

The nests....could work fine, might want to wait and see and modify later if you have the skills.
    They are kind of open, but many folks have open nests like that.
    Hard to know the size of each 'nest' from the pics.......is this being built at your place or off site and will be delivered when done?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by