Nestbox/Roost placement

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by gootziecat, May 31, 2010.

1. gootziecat

gootziecat Songster

Nov 27, 2007
    Hampshire Co, WV
    I'm in the planning stage of a small 4x4 henhouse and haven't decided what I want to put in it -- LF, Bantams or even guineas. But I want to keep my options open. I've had all 3 in an 8x12 without problem, but space will be at such a premium in this small one. So the question is the placement of nestboxes and roosts that would be suitable for any of them. Suggestions? Thanks.

2. elmo

elmo Songster

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I didn't do this in mine, but I've seen it done and thought it was a nifty idea. You put your roost along the length of one wall, put a droppings board under that, and under the droppings board, you put your nestboxes. You have to have enough head room to do this, of course. You don't want your roost up so high that the air from your wall vents will blow on your chickens in the winter.

I like the idea because that way you don't use up as much of your scarce floor space.

3. gootziecat

gootziecat Songster

Nov 27, 2007
    Hampshire Co, WV
    Thanks, Elmo. I can see where that would be space efficient.
    I was particularly wondering about the heights of the roosts and nestboxes. Guineas and Silkies like low nestboxes, other chickens usually higher. Each prefers high or low roost heights. There may not be enough space to accommodate both, although it did just occur to me that a lower perch could be directly under the poop board you mentioned, in front of the nestboxes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by