Nestbox set up...metal,wooden or other? Pics of yours please?

chickenlickin8

Songster
11 Years
Jun 26, 2008
Valrico, Florida
My Coop
My Coop
Hi everyone,

I have my metal nest boxes set up, hanging on a wall at the back of the coop, a few inches off the ground. I have a white ceramic egg in each one. I want my young girls to use the boxes but they don't seem interested so far. Does it matter that I am using sheet metal boxes with a perch attached? Here's a pic of mine...

12435_img_2797.jpg

I don't have pictures, but here's what I have in my 4 coops.

1. The Playhouse has a 10 hole metal nesting unit with perches similar to yours

2. The Banty barn has a 18" x 3.6' long wooden box added on to the back of the barn. Just one long open box

3. The Ghetto just has an old wooden kitchen drawer with shavings and shredded paper

4. The Garden Coop has a wicker basket wired to a concrete block so it won't turn over when they get in and out

All of the layers use whatever nest they have in their coops. If your girls are not interested then I assume they are not quite old enough to lay. Once they are they will begin investigating on their own. No need to worry.
smile.png

Your set up looks good and your girls are beautiful. I put more straw in my boxes as they seem to fuss arund to make sure it is "just so" before they lay and a couple of inches of material cushions the eggs that have been laid.
Anne

Back
Top Bottom