1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Nestboxes- in or out?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by happyhens, Feb 3, 2009.

1. happyhens

happyhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    KY
    Which do you prefer, outside nestboxes or inside, and why? I am planning my small coop/tractor, and I'm just wanting some ideas for the nestbox. I am wondering if it is worth the extra building and time to build the nest boxes on the outside. Any advice or pictures?

2. waynesgarden

waynesgarden Feathers of Steel

Mar 30, 2008
    Oxford County
    Inside for me. It helps prevent some freezing in the winter. I do have a small access door to the back of the nests so I don't have to go in the coop to collect eggs. If you put the nests a foot or more above the floor, the hens have room to walk below, helpful in a small coop.

Wayne

3. happyhens

Jan 30, 2007
    KY
    Thanks for the reply. I hadn't though about the eggs freezing. Definately something to take into consideration!

4. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    I could not afford the space inside so I put mine on the outside. Double walled - foam insulated and no problems of them freezing.

5. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    I am anxious to see other reply's to this. Our are inside right now, but I really want to move them to the outside but have worried about the freezing. We will have to build them with good insulation.

6. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    Thank for the pictures!!

8. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Here are some pictures of mine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Definatly like not having to go into the coop to get eggs.

9. happyhens

Jan 30, 2007
    KY
    Thank for the pictures! They are very helpful. I think I will put the nestboxes on the outside, to not take up space in the coop. And it usually doesn't stay very cold in my area, there might be 2 months out of the year that I need to check for eggs several times a day to be sure that none freeze. Thanks all for your input.

10. mjdtexan

mjdtexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    inside but able to get to them from the outside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by