Nesting and Bedding for Laying

sven

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 14, 2011
NW Oregon
Hey!

What is the best nesting, bedding for chickens? I know chickens sometimes make a mistake of eating straw and therefore effecting its crop

but i also heard chickens make a mistake of eating pine shaveings and giveing them slivers and unhealthy particles.

I use pine pellets for the overall coop but its not very comfortable for laying for the chicken...and of course i do want my chickens to be comfortable.

Any ideas?

thanx

Chickens would lay on concrete. I don't really think they care about how comfortable something is. I use straw, sometimes hay.

Chickens would lay on concrete. I don't really think they care about how comfortable something is. I use straw, sometimes hay.

Well humans would sit on concrete....doesn't mean its comfortable
tongue.png

I think i'll try hay or straw sense I do have alot. I just hope i wont have to perform some weird surgery on them to fix their crop.
sickbyc.gif

But then again I am a type of person to worry about simple things. haha

I'm using chopped straw. I use it for everything, it's nice and soft and it is almost dust free (mostly importend for my own health). It's in the nests and on the floor of the coop.

I've used straw and they pulled it out of the nest. Then I changed to pine shavings and the either kicked it out or ate it. I ended up using old carpet cut to size for the nest boxes and it seems to work great, my girls seem to like it just fine.

Back
Top Bottom