Nesting Box Access Design

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chemew, Aug 18, 2011.

1. chemew

chemew Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2011
    These pictures are also posted in another thread but the question is very different. The original plan was to hinge the 7.5' small wall behind the nesting boxes to provide easier access to the eggs and for cleaning out the coop. However, when I started to install the hinges, I realized the small wall won't lay down so that it is level with the coop floor but rather have a "lip". This will still allow any messes to be swept up but only to the edge of the wall. Also, you won't be able to stand on the small wall when it's laying down which will make clean up even more awkward.

(I'm convincing myself as I write this)...What do y'all think about moving the hinges to the side walls instead and securing the small wall to the base of the coop so it doesn't move. It seems access will be easier for cleaning and I can sweep out the nest box area directly onto a tarp or other container through the side walls?

Does anyone have any other ideas to make clean up and access to eggs easier from the outside?

[​IMG]

2. spotstealer

spotstealer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Poynette, WI
    Looking at your coop, are you planning on putting a people door on the left side? I would hinge it like a regular door. I would also consider making the door taller to prevent you from having to stoop over to get in or out. The design looks good though.

3. chemew

Aug 10, 2011
    The door will be on the left side of the picture and is about 6' tall - it's just partially covered with the plywood at the moment...

4. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I'm confused. The extended floor is the nest box area? And will this be one long nest box or divided nest boxes? How would you access all of the boxes from side doors?

If I'm understanding the design, I'd still hinge the small wall but hinge it to lift up rather than dropping down. You don't need the whole wall to lift, only enough to easily access the space so the roof wouldn't get in the way if you put the hinge maybe 2/3 of the way up.

5. chemew

Aug 10, 2011
    sorry for the confusion. i've been working on this so much i've started taking a lot for granted.

Yes, the extended area is the nesting area. I was planning to install a series of individual next boxes. the ramped sides and long short wall will have a lid that will pivot / swing up to the side of the wall above the nest boxes to allow a long open access from the top.

My thought now is to hinge the small walls to either side of the nesting boxes to swing out to lay flat on the main coop's walls....

6. chemew

Aug 10, 2011
    here is where I am at... the two sides wings of the nest box are securely fastened to the coop. the long front top panel has hinges to raise it up for access. For cleaning, I cut the long front panel in half and attached hinges to the side wings so they open like double doors outward.

The issue I have now is the double hinged doors are not swinging freely as they are pulling the wings down because of the weight. How can I strengthen the wings so this doesn't happen?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by