1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

nesting box and egglaying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by flockmarket, Sep 15, 2011.

1. flockmarket

flockmarket Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2011
    okay so a few weeks ago my nesting box completely rotted away, so egglaying completely stopped. but i put in a new box today, so im wondering if the hens would have stopped laying simply because we replaced their nesting box with a plastic, white, box.

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I'd be looking over, under and behind everything to find where they were stashing the eggs during that time.

3. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Ditto... they're laying somewhere!

4. ChickenScratchin

ChickenScratchin Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2011
    Colorado
    Quote:Ditto... they're laying somewhere!

x3 They're sneaky lil buggers

5. flockmarket

Aug 11, 2011
    haha, well thats what ill have to do tommorrow! i found my previous stash months after we thought they stopped laying. grr

6. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:So this has already happened once before? [​IMG]

7. gavinandallison

gavinandallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Matthews, NC.
    We wondered why our egg production had gone down until I looked behind the coop door and found 21 eggs! Now they all lay behind the door and ignore the nesting area.

8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    The only thing I can count on mine to do is lay in the coop. They have 7 nests for 14 hens (just the way things ended up) including varying sizes and privacy / darkness, so it's not like they have no choices. Yesterday all the eggs were in 2 nests, but during a typical week I always find some in a corner or even out on the coop floor. I gave up fighting it a long time ago; I just freshen the shavings, keep a few golf balls around, and collect them where I find them. I have had a hen lay and collect eggs outside the coop, twice as I recall, but they were broodies. Lately the broodies just move them around in the coop.

9. flockmarket

Aug 11, 2011
    well i noticed the golfball i put in their makeshift nest went missing, maybe they moved it to there "secret" nest, unfortunately i can't find it. maybe ill have to go loking outside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by