Nesting box cushion?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sesa, Jun 30, 2010.

1. sesa

sesa Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Thurmont, Md
    I have 5 hens, one that lays an egg a day and 4 others that are not old enough yet. I have 2 nesting boxes that the one hen uses but she scrapes out all the straw or wood shavings I put in there. Is this normal? Should I even be concerned that she likes to drop her eggs on bare wood?

2. jrudolph305

jrudolph305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2009
    Meadows of Dan, Va
    We also have 5 girls with 3 of them laying. It drives us crazy that they dig thru the straw and lay on the wood. So far haven't had any eggs that we feel were damaged from them laying on the floor.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I put shavings in mine. I just pile them up high and the girls scratch out some, but not all. Then I add to the shavings when necessary. Do you have lip on the front of your nesting box?

4. ryanhodapp

ryanhodapp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    St. Louis
    I have a lip on mine and they push all the shavings out. Maybe not the first day but by day 2 or 3, all gone.

Also, where do I buy those wooden eggs or can you use plastic easter eggs?

5. Jeeper1540

Jeeper1540 Chillin' With My Peeps

pine shavings, and a lip so they dont fall out. after about a week, most of the shavings are out, but they dont ever drop them, just the occasional accidental stepping on.

6. gettinaclue

gettinaclue Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Virginia
    I bought my wooden eggs from Michaels. They were 75 cents or a dollar a piece.

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I got my wooden eggs from the feed store. Or you can use golf balls.

8. sesa

sesa Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Thurmont, Md
    Yes I've got a lip on the nesting box, but no matter what I put in there either straw or wood shavings it all gets kicked out. What are the wooden eggs for?

9. catterbug

catterbug Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Ohio
    The wooden eggs are put into the nesting boxes to show the chickens where to lay their eggs. If your's are already laying in the boxes then you probally don't need to add any.

10. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    My nesting boxes are covered kitty litter boxes so there is a lip and I fill it with shavings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by