Nesting box cushion?

sesa

Songster
10 Years
Mar 27, 2009
Thurmont, Md
I have 5 hens, one that lays an egg a day and 4 others that are not old enough yet. I have 2 nesting boxes that the one hen uses but she scrapes out all the straw or wood shavings I put in there. Is this normal? Should I even be concerned that she likes to drop her eggs on bare wood?

We also have 5 girls with 3 of them laying. It drives us crazy that they dig thru the straw and lay on the wood. So far haven't had any eggs that we feel were damaged from them laying on the floor.

I put shavings in mine. I just pile them up high and the girls scratch out some, but not all. Then I add to the shavings when necessary. Do you have lip on the front of your nesting box?

I have a lip on mine and they push all the shavings out. Maybe not the first day but by day 2 or 3, all gone.

Also, where do I buy those wooden eggs or can you use plastic easter eggs?

Yes I've got a lip on the nesting box, but no matter what I put in there either straw or wood shavings it all gets kicked out. What are the wooden eggs for?

The wooden eggs are put into the nesting boxes to show the chickens where to lay their eggs. If your's are already laying in the boxes then you probally don't need to add any.

Back
Top Bottom