Nesting box entrance demensions

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by lacquerandlace, Jan 18, 2014.

1. lacquerandlace

lacquerandlace Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2013
    Hello to all, first time poster - but long time lurker :) We are currently designing/building our chicken coop. I wonder if one of you experts would be kind enough to advise me… Our nest boxes are 14x14x14; I’m pondering whether a standard chicken will “mind” entering through an opening measuring 9” x 12”? The photo shows what I am envisioning – we still have to cut the plywood backing with an oval to match the shown frames. Thank you in advance, Brandy

[​IMG]

2. Manningjw

Manningjw Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

9x12 should be plenty big enough for standard size chickens. I believe my nest box openings are even smaller than that. It may be easier for them to enter them if they are vertical rather than horizontal however. Cool idea btw :).

3. lacquerandlace

Jan 19, 2013
    Our original idea was for them to be vertical. The "ornate" scrolls on the frame don't allow for that if we don't cut an inch off the width of the lower 2x8's. Thank you for your input, I just don't want to set it up this way and have chickens that won't enter [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  4. lacquerandlace

Jan 19, 2013
    Thank you - Our original idea was for them to be vertical. The "ornate" scrolls on the frame don't allow for that if we don't cut an inch off the width of the lower 2x8's. Thank you for your input, I just don't want to set it up this way and have chickens that won't enter :)

5. lacquerandlace

Jan 19, 2013
    Sorry about the double post - still figuring out how posting works around here.

6. OScarlet

OScarlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2013
    pretty! I like that idea!

My girls can squeeze through something a lot smaller than that.

7. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  8. Vickis Girls

Vickis Girls Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2012
    Central Washington
    I have Brahma hens, and even though they're hatchery birds, I think they might not try to squeeze through. They might, though, and was wondering where you found these beautiful pieces. I'm new to chickens, and I love your idea! I had heard to hang strips of fabric to make it more snug and private, but I like your idea even better. Good job, and thanks for the inspiration. Maybe I could find a bigger one.

9. lacquerandlace

Jan 19, 2013
    I do have a good understanding of what a chicken coop turns into after the birds move in... and yet I cant help myself :) Thank you

10. lacquerandlace

Jan 19, 2013
    These are frames I found at hobby lobby.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by