Nesting box for a bantam - How high is too high?

Jayers

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 16, 2008
NE Illinois
I have a newly acquired banty cochin. I'm not sure if she even lays anymore, but I have not seen her in the nest box which is about 24" high. Is this too high for her to get into? Actually, it is a little higher to access, since the roosting bar is about 2" higher then the box.

I'm not familiar with that particular breed of bantam, but our Serama Old English crossbreeds are excellent fliers. One of them keeps trying to lay her eggs on top of the 6 foot tall run.

I wonder, though, from your description whether the setup you have makes it difficult to get into the nestbox. Does the hen have to get up to the roost then get down from that to get into the nestbox? Chickens aren't helicopters and can't really go straight up and down. You have to allow enough horizontal space for them to maneuver. Do you have other hens that are able to use this box?

I'm not familiar with any breed of bantam! I guess I'll learn soon enough.

The roosting bar does need to be accessed before they enter the nesting box. The lip of the nesting box sits about 2" below and 4" away from the bar. This broke the bad habit of roosting in the nesting box. I've had no troubles at all with my Australorp, but she is a giant compared with the cochin.

Back
Top Bottom