Nesting Box Ideas!!! Please!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by lkellogg, Nov 21, 2013.

1. lkellogg

lkellogg Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2013
    Windsor, Colorado
    So we are currently constructing a larger coop for our growing flock and I have several ideas for the nesting boxes but my favorite right now is the 5 gallon bucket idea...please post your ideas and some pictures if possible!! please please please give me some input!!! [​IMG] thankyou.

2. lkellogg

Nov 18, 2013
    Windsor, Colorado
    Thankyou that is an awesome thread!!![​IMG] but do you know of any designs for using five gallon buckets??

3. jsawler

jsawler Out Of The Brooder

I use milk crates personally. just zip tie em together, add a tied on lip on the front of them......done!

4. FuzzyButtz

FuzzyButtz Chillin' With My Peeps

I used Milk Crates up until now - until my favourite chicken got her head stuck and broke her own neck ..

5. cherylmad

cherylmad Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2013
    Windsor, Colorado
    That is so sad.I feel so bad for you. Thank you for letting us know about the milk crates. We will not be using them.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  6. lkellogg

Nov 18, 2013
    Windsor, Colorado
    Ya definantly will not go that route thats very very sad, im just looking for something simple, effective and safe

7. kmollyhughes

kmollyhughes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2013
    Northern Nevada
    We originally wanted to use 5 gallon buckets. We had a shelf across the back wall of the coop to line them up....but some of our girls are big and didn't seem comfortable. So now we have a mix of boxes. A couple buckets, a couple covered litter boxes, open areas to nest. All the girls have a favorite spot.

8. Primo

Primo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2013
    Texas
    If you are in the construction phase, why not just add on some external nesting boxes? They are easy to build and don't require much material

9. lkellogg

Nov 18, 2013
    Windsor, Colorado
    My coop is an A frame design so I dont really want to have to deal with that, it is big enough for us to just walk in and get the eggs, i had external egg boxes on our last coop and it really is not hard but I just dont feel like put it on this go round.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by