nesting box in seperate coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by bald k9, Oct 25, 2009.

1. bald k9

bald k9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    Rural Edwardsville
    Hello, I have a medium coop and a large NEW coop[shed] my question is if I attach both coops to the run medium one as the nesting boxes and the NEW one as the roost will that work will they lay in one coop and roost in another? thanks for your help

2. kick'n chick'n

kick'n chick'n Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    tennessee
    it could work with some training. i think some would want to roost on/in the nest boxes. i bought some chickens off a person that had a really small coop that they roosted in & his nest boxes on the outside of the coop in the run. so i think with a little work you could train your chicken to roost in 1 coop & lay in the other.

3. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Ohio
    I have two coops side by side and the 15 hole nest is in the large one.The hens have always wanted to lay in the nest box in the large coop.The chickens roost in both coops.But lay in one.The younger seem to follow the habits of the older hens.

4. bald k9

bald k9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    Rural Edwardsville
    Thank for the input I guess I will try it if it doesnt work I can always change the set up.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by