Nesting box position question.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Willowmina, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Willowmina

Willowmina Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2016
    Has anyone ever positioned their nesting boxes a few feet under their droppings board? I'm trying to save floor space but still want easy access to my boxes and drop board from outside the coop. My idea is to place the box under the roost (droppings board), but it would sit about 3' from the front of the board in order to access it from the back. Will they walk that far under the board to go to the nests? I've only had ducks and meat chickens, so layers and all that go with them should be a fun learning curve this summer.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    3 inches is no deterrent in keeping chickens from going into a nest box. Chickens like privacy when laying, similar to humans when>>>>>>>> well you know what..
    WISHING YOU BEST... [​IMG]

3. Willowmina

Feb 14, 2016
    That was 3 feet not inches under the drop board to the nest box. Three roosts set approx 12 inches apart with a 12 x12 box under the last foot. What do you think, would it work? Thanks

4. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Sorry on my overlooking feet to inches. Still I see no problem. I had one of my banties once have a hidden nest . It was a maze for her to get to. You get the point. Try it and see, and let us know the results.

5. AllynTal

AllynTal Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2014
    Mississippi Gulf Coast
    Sorry. . . .posted to the wrong thread. Nothing to see here. Move along.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  6. Willowmina

Feb 14, 2016
    Thanks Cavemanrich, I think I might.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by