Nesting box queations

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenJ1m, Oct 17, 2016.

1. chickenJ1m

chickenJ1m Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2016
    Aylett, Va
    I recently put in some buckets for nesting and I just tossed in some pine shavings at the time because I didn't have any straw. They just started laying eggs today, (got 2 this morning!) but should I swap out the shavings for some straw now or will this disrupt them?

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I bet they would like the straw even more!

1 person likes this.
  3. chickenJ1m

Jul 15, 2016
    Aylett, Va
    Well after seeing your post I had to get some more feed and while I was there I bought a bale of compressed alfalfa straw. Question: can I put in too much straw? When I went out this morning to check for eggs,(we got our first 2 yesterday),they didn't look used. Maybe there's an adjustment period?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  4. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

They'll squash the straw down, so you can put more in than you'd think - I make mine good and fluffy. When I transitioned to straw from shavings, they did have an adjustment period, but figured it out. Straw keeps its loft better than shavings, IMO, and works better for nest boxes.

5. chickenJ1m

Jul 15, 2016
    Aylett, Va
    Thank you! I'm a bit of a worrier and tend to overthink mole hills into mountains haha

6. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

LOL...I think we all have those moments. I hope your girls take to the straw right away and leave you nice, clean eggs. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by