Nesting Box Question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Awestruck, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Awestruck

Awestruck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2012
    We have our chicken coop set up and there are 6 spaces for nesting boxes. So, I guess the next thing to do is to buy nesting boxes to put into these spaces, and if so, are there any good recommendations out there? The chicken coop we have is from CCOnly. I believe it is the 78 series pictured here: http://www.cconly.com/coop__hutches/cc-78_series
    Thanks for all of your help.

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    You could separate the laying area with partitions, or simply leave it as a communal nesting area. The suggested ratio of nest boxes to laying birds is 1:4, but chances are, your birds will likely queue up for one or two favoured nests.

3. Awestruck

Awestruck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2012
    Maybe my question should be, 'Do I need to buy nesting boxes for my coop or are they already part of the coop?' I know one day, I will be laughing at my questions, because the answers will seem so obvious, but at this moment, I am pretty clueless. I went on the Internet searching for nesting boxes and what I came up with was something that is already in the coop. So, my question now is, am I supposed to buy something to put into the nest boxes, or is the only thing that I put in them straw or bedding? Do I put a 'box' inside the areas partitioned as nesting boxes? Thanks.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Just watched the video in your link. Your nest boxes are ready to go. All they need is some bedding - straw, dried grass clippings, sand, dry soil - whatever you have. So just put some in each of the partitions and you are good to go.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    That coop size is good for about 4 birds...so you only need one nest.
    Remove other partitions and use that space for feed and water.
    You may need to raise the roosts and put a front lip and cover on the nest.

Click on the search link below for ideas to make prefab coops function better.
    Advanced search>titles only> pre fab coops

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by