Nesting box question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ArkyBird, Sep 10, 2007.

1. ArkyBird

ArkyBird Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2007
    Arkansas
    [im[​IMG]g][/img]

I built this nexting box from some scrap I had laying around. The nests are 12"x12" by 14 tall. I put on a front roosting bar but did not know how far out it should be, does it look ok, or should it be changed? The outside edge is 8" away from the front of the nest. Any suggestions? Thanks for any help.

2. siz8003

siz8003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Fitz.,NH
    I wish mine were that nice!!!

3. ArkyBird

Sep 6, 2007
    Arkansas
    Thanks, I am learning as I go....

4. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow, those look beautiful!

I've heard that birds can start roosting/nesting on top of a flat box, but I don't know first hand. Our boxes don't have a cover.

5. Judymae

Judymae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2007
    Merit, Tx
    Your nesting boxes are awesome! I'm really impressed. I bought a set of 3 just like yours from shopthecoop.com and they didn't have a roosting pole out front. Cost me over $80! I like yours much better!

6. TxChiknRanchers

TxChiknRanchers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    Southeast Texas
    Looks good , word is that you slant the top so the girls do not roost and poop there.

7. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    If mounting them on the wall yes its recommended to slant roof so no one perches on top, if mounting through the wall you dont need to worry about top.

8. Zenbirder

Zenbirder Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    New Mexico
    Ours look a lot like that, but there are five nests and they take up one whole wall of the coop. The top is flat with a small wood lip to keep straw on top. The highest (most favored) roost is over the top so the top of the nestboxes serves as an easily cleanable "poop deck".

9. ArkyBird

Sep 6, 2007
    Arkansas
    Thanks all, I can use all the information I can get, I will probably put a angled top on the nest after it is mounted in my hen house, which is on the drawing board now. I must be wierd, building the nest box first, then the hen house around it....well, my friends think raising chickens is wierd anyway. [​IMG][​IMG]

10. Chelly

Chelly Cooped Up

May 11, 2007
    Scuse me for jumping in - does a nest box have to have a top over it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by