nesting box question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by outdoor junkie, May 8, 2011.

1. outdoor junkie

outdoor junkie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2011
    Flushing
    I have four hens, and am about to add nesting boxes to the coop, still a little early I think but might as well get them done and installed now. My question is I know with four birds I could get away with one box, but plan on putting two in. Can anyone give me some standard dimensions for a nest box? I really have no idea how big to make them, also do you just use the wood shavins in them, or should I use some sort of other bedding material? Thank you for any advice you can give this noob. Have a wondeful day.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I'm assuming standard sized hens, not bantams. The minimum size I would go with is 12" x 12". A little larger won't hurt but is not really required.

As far as height, it depends a bit on how you actually construct them. I add a lip across the bottom that is about 5" to 6" high to keep them from scracthing out the bedding material, fake eggs, or real eggs. Then, above that I have an opening about 6" to 8" high. That is for the openings. How you frame it will determine actual height.

I have used wood shavings, straw, and what would be equivalent to hay, long grass cut and dried. All work well. I kind of prefer the hay since it is finer than straw but a little firmer than the shavings, but that is just pure personal preference. They all work.

I agree with your decision to go with 2 nest boxes although they will probably all use the same one. It gives you flexibility to handle things later, just in case you need that.

3. outdoor junkie

Mar 28, 2011
    Flushing
    Thank you, yes I was thinking in the 12" x 12" area. Info is much appreciated.

4. colonel sander

colonel sander Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    Vancouver, WA
    Are you doing a internal or external nesting box? I am in the same boat with 4 hens and want to do 2 external boxs on my coop. I would do an internal but want to keep the floor space to a maximum for the gals.

5. outdoor junkie

Mar 28, 2011
    Flushing
    I am going to build mine external, for the same reason, saving space in the coop, and also for easier egg removal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by