Nesting Box Question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by fradytrc, Jul 19, 2011.

1. fradytrc

fradytrc Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2011
    Central NC
    I have 8 nesting boxes in our coop. Is that enough for 2 roosters and 14 hens? Am I supposed to be cleaning them out? They roost in them every night and poop like crazy. Do I need to get them some hay, straw or pine needles to build nests out of...So far they have laid no eggs...they are 4 1/2 months old. Sorry but I'm a real rookie!!!

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    8 nest bloxes is plenty. Do they have roosts to sleep on? Make sure the roosts are higher than the nest boxes to encourage them to sleep there instead of the boxes. If they're pooping in them I would clean them out on a regular basis. I prefer shavings for the nest boxes. Straw and stuff like that gets nasty and moldy, so the shavings work better for me.

3. Dingleberry

Dingleberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Woodinville
    d

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  4. Dingleberry

Dingleberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Woodinville
    Quote:shavings are in their boxes. the roof of them are slanted so they can not sleep on top and they are on the bottom of the hen house and they sleep in the top part:lol:

5. carladababe

carladababe Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Dixon, Missouri
    I have four nests for my eleven girls and was told that was plenty, sounds like you'll be fine.[​IMG]

6. mommissan

mommissan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    I read that you need one nesting box to every two to three hens. I used open front stacking plastic storage bins for easy access and cleaning. The height is limited to 9" so they don't roost in them and poop. I use straw an some shredded paper. They roost on a 2x2 in the center of the coop, and that is where all the poop falls. Sounds like you have plenty of boxes, just offer a different place to roost. That leaves the nest boxes are for "egging" only. Good luck! I'm waiting for my first eggs in another month.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by