Nesting box questions

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mi2bugz, Dec 3, 2013.

1. mi2bugz

mi2bugz Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2013
    Waxahachie, tx
    While looking through pictures I see some nest boxes directly on the ground and some off the ground. What are the pro's and con's of both?

Our total chicken capacity will be 16 (hearing about chicken math I want to plan for the greatest number we can accommodate lol). So would 6 boxes be enough)?

~ Nicole

2. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    My chickens do seem to like them off the ground as long as they can get into them easily (esp perches in front), when we have identical layered nest boxes almost always the top ones are the popular ones. If they are raised they also don't take up floor space which can be important if space is tight. X2 raised ones are easier too collect eggs out of. Nest boxes on the ground are easier to make since you can use about anything the right size/shape and just plop it down, for breeds that don't fly/jump well they may be a good idea, silkies seem to like them.

4. mi2bugz

Sep 8, 2013
    Waxahachie, tx
    We have a speckled Sussex, New Hampshire red, silver laced Wyandotte and a barred Plymouth Rock. Our plan was to have 1 row 12" off the floor but that would put the second row of boxes at 24". Then the roost would have to be 3' off the ground. Do any of these breeds require lower nesting boxes/roosts due to size? Our run roost at 30" doesn't get any use :(.

5. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    my nests are off the ground to maximize the floor space for the chickens. They are 18" high so the headroom below is ok for the chickens. You probably do not need 6 nests, 4 would be fine. I had 3 for 12 birds and only two got used. They do not all lay around the same time and do like to cluster the eggs in the same nest.

6. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    Nest boxes
    My nest boxes are 24" off the ground I fold a feed bag to fit (nest boxes are 1 ft³). When a bag gets soiled; fold a new one; pop out the soiled; pop in the new.

POOP BOARDS are the "BEST" addition yet. Handles well over ½ of the poop in my set up keeps ammonia smell in check 3½" below roost excellent for catching eggs laid through the night (roost are in cups for easier removal and cleaning). I recently friction fit a piece of vinyl flooring over my poop board.it makes clean up even easier; Pop out; Scrap; Hose; Pop in.

Easy peasy!.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  7. joyfulkeeper

joyfulkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2013
    South Central Minnesota
    We have a set of 3 nest boxes that are 10" off the ground, which is almost ground level with our deep litter method. Those are the boxes for our ducks. They are 14" high and we have two more sets going up. Our top roost lines up with the bottom of the top nesting boxes about 38" up from the floor (but we have about 6" of litter so 32" right now) and we have one roost about half way down from that. All the chickens love the top roost and nesting boxes. We have 14 hens laying and they use the top 3 boxes (sometimes only 2) and maybe one of the boxes on the next level down. They hop from the lower roost to the upper one and then over to the boxes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  8. mi2bugz

Sep 8, 2013
    Waxahachie, tx
    Do to the cold weather coming in I had to hurry up and do a temporary roost and nesting box until the spring. We only have 3 hens so hoping a community box will be ok for now. If not it won't be hard to add a divider. So far I have only seen the chickens get to a 24" roost so I had to do 24" to start. Spring will allow more construction. Here is our temporary one. Roost poop board will be being installed and nesting boxes up a bit higher and at least 2 rows. We will also be installing a slope to the nesting box roof on the next nice day.

[​IMG]

9. joyfulkeeper

joyfulkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2013
    South Central Minnesota
    Nichole, that looks great! Your 3 ladies should share the nest without problem. [​IMG]

10. BMD17553

BMD17553 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2013
    i have two nesting boxes one for each of my hens and they are about one foot off the ground and they seem to be just fine

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by