Nesting box size

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by darajosami, Aug 5, 2014.

1. darajosami

darajosami Chillin' With My Peeps

I have three boxes that are 30cm (app 12") wide x 30cm (app 12") deep x 25cm high (app 10"). My question is, will this be too high for my Brown Leghorns (who are apparently a cross between a normal size and Bantam [​IMG])? We were thinking of cutting the front a little lower for it to get in.

Also, how deep do you fill the container? I was thinking about 3/4 or should it be half?

2. deathfromabove

deathfromabove Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2014
    maryland
    That size should work out for you, the hens will probably share the same box to lay there eggs. My nest boxes are 12 inches high x 16in wide x 12 in long. I have four of them and 13 hens and they only use two boxes sometime two at a time.

3. darajosami

darajosami Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for that. getting them tomorrow and hoped they weren't too high.

How far do I fill up with hay?

4. Meeka3

Meeka3 Chillin' With My Peeps

I put my boxes on their side, and put a piece of board in front with a brick to hold it in place to stop the chooks from kicking the hay out. They all want the same box, and when one changes, they all change, and sometimes I have 3 or 4 all squashed in together, sitting on each other's heads, while the other boxes all sit empty. I recently put some plastic eggs in the other boxes and have had some luck with a couple of the younger chooks.

5. deathfromabove

deathfromabove Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2014
    maryland
    I put enough in to fill the bottom. You just need enough to cushion the egg so it doesn't break.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by