Nesting box too high?

Hotchickendad

Hatching
Jun 22, 2020
So I recently have been improving my coop since the coop I have was too low to the ground and the chickens try to sleep on top of it every night and I have to manually put them to bed each night. So I built a 2ft frame to place the whole coop and run on top of and added some roosting bars. Also installing an automatic door.

Issue is, Once I placed the whole coop in the frame the boxes seem too high. I put in a little ramp but I can’t see my fat dumb chickens figuring it out. I guess I will find out tonight if there are eggs in there. the boxes are about 2.5 feet above ground

Attachments

• 58610303-7D1F-4B0C-BA5F-18CF84D96651.jpeg
    58610303-7D1F-4B0C-BA5F-18CF84D96651.jpeg
    705.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 707F84F8-2C23-4407-942B-8E16FCCDE4CE.jpeg
    707F84F8-2C23-4407-942B-8E16FCCDE4CE.jpeg
    895.3 KB · Views: 31
  • F218148C-958A-4F59-B8A2-B99E07130A21.jpeg
    F218148C-958A-4F59-B8A2-B99E07130A21.jpeg
    882.2 KB · Views: 31
Mine are about that high (think mine are 2 foot high) and my girls have no issues jumping up there. I had a ramp but they wasn't using it so I just removed it.

My nesting boxes are 2-3 feet off the ground in a henhouse I built, and my hens lay in the boxes everyday.

I think your nesting box height is fine :)

My nest boxes are on the ground of the coop, which is a bit more than 3 ft from the ground. They go into the coop using the ramp (but they're Brahmas, so it's a bit difficult for them to jump high). When I have new chickens in the coop I just pick them up and put them in the coop when it's time to sleep, I have to do it for 1 or maximum 2-3 nights, until they figure it out.

Don't think height of nest is an issue.
General knowledge states that as long as roosts are higher than nests they will sleep on the roosts instead of in the nests.

I put in a little ramp but I can’t see my fat dumb chickens figuring it out.
That ramp looks very steep and doesn't really go to the coop/nest part of the structure.
Where do you expect them to roost/sleep?

That coop/nest(enclosed part of the structure) is way too small for the 6-7 birds I see there.
You're trying to put 10 pounds of shtuff into a 5 pound box....gonna be tough.

the coop is I think 4 times bigger than what it loooks like on the picture. It goes back further than it looks and then goes off with additional boxes to the left and right so the coop might be big enough, the run looks tiny to me but as long as they can free range a bit it all looks good to me, height should not be an issue but maybe one more hopping bar would help. Just a horizontal bar between the floor and coop so they have something to hop onto instead of a bigger ramp which would take up too much space for the tiny run size

the coop is I think 4 times bigger than what it loooks like on the picture. It goes back further than it looks and then goes off with additional boxes to the left and right so the coop might be big enough, the run looks tiny to me but as long as they can free range a bit it all looks good to me, height should not be an issue but maybe one more hopping bar would help. Just a horizontal bar between the floor and coop so they have something to hop onto instead of a bigger ramp which would take up too much space for the tiny run size

I disagree. Those boxes on the sides are nests. It looks to be a prefabricated coop and this type is typically tiny measuring less than 12 square feet.

Back
Top Bottom