Nesting box use

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by danee89, Aug 26, 2016.

1. danee89

danee89 New Egg

May 11, 2016
    West Virginia
    I have 6 hens and they have all started laying eggs this week. Finally!!

I built nesting boxes, about 3 weeks ago and put a marble egg in each to help them learn what the boxes are for, but they won't use them! Instead, they are laying eggs in the corners of the coop. The boxes are movable, so it isn't to big a deal, except that the corner they are choosing to lay in is under their roost.

How can I get them to lay somewhere else?? Can I just move the boxes to their favorite spot for and then move it once they have learned to use the box?? HELP!

2. carlf

carlf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    Mobile, AL
    Tough to break them once they pick a spot.
    Does your movable boxes have a top on it to prevent them from pooping into it if you put it in the corners?
    If so, just move it there.
    Of put something else in that corners to block them from laying there & try to redirect them into the nest box.
    Can they clearly see into the nest boxes when in the Coop?
    What size is your nest box?

3. danee89

danee89 New Egg

May 11, 2016
    West Virginia
    The boxes don't have lids, but I can easily add one.

The box is 12 inches long and 8 inches wide. They use it, as long as it's in the corner.

Would it possibly be better to just move the roost??

4. carlf

carlf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    Mobile, AL
    Yeah, you can just move the roost.Or just add a lid. Either way.

5. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

I myself never over think it?? Young layers will layon the ground because it is a big deal to them too lay those first eggs.
    They might start off in the nest box and then end up on the floor? They might prefer a more private nesting site? I use curtains on my nest boxes. I had a young pullet last year that loved the corner behind the coop door to lay her egg. She started using the boxes once she matured. I never use fake eggs, just my personal preference....
    Once they get the kinks out, they will lay were you want them too.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    This^^^^

Are the nests easy to get into and out of?
    Will take some tenacity to change their habits.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by