Nesting Box walls for a tractor coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Wizbop, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Wizbop

Wizbop Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Greensboro, NC
    We have three chickens and just one has started to lay (today). [​IMG] I can hardly contain my excitement. Our coop is a small tractor. Right now, the nesting boxes are just more or less framed out around the perimeter (2 inches of wood and there are two boxes). We've left it like this until we got to POL and we decided we'd change it if/when necessary. What should we do? Do we need to put in an actual wall for them to divide the boxes up? Like, bring up the sides? Do they need privacy? Here is our coop right after it was built. It was originally built w/ three boxes and now has two. Opinions?
    [​IMG]

2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:They do like their privacy. I would build in walls, and probably a roof. Is that a roost above the nest boxes? If so, isn't there a concern that they'll be get droppings in the nesting boxes? I always put curtains of some type on my nest boxes b/c the girls like their privacy. Just my opinion.

[​IMG]

3. Wizbop

Mar 27, 2010
    Greensboro, NC
    Your coop is purdy! I should have been more clear. This photo is of our coop with the door/hatch open, so when it is closed (always) that is a wall. It is small inside as it is a tiny tractor for three birds. The nesting boxes are closest to the lens and that is a roost across from it. That's not a roost above the nest. They mostly keep droppings out of their nesting boxes already. So, build up the wall, you recommend? I don't think curtains will work in our set-up although they are adorable.

4. mlorne

mlorne Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2010
    I would not think it is really going to matter with three chickens in such a small place. So what if they don't lay in the nesting box? It's not like you are going to have to search all over hell's half-acre looking for the eggs right? Really, the only point of a nesting box is to have the hens laying in a consistent place so collection is easier. Also, it helps to keep the eggs sheltered from the hot sun. So unless you are free ranging them on a large pasture where they could lay just about anywhere, I wouldn't worry about it.

My guess is they will consider the whole coop to be their nesting box and probably will lay one at a time while the others wait outside.

Just my thoughts...

5. Annabella

Annabella Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2010
    I think it is private enough in there for them. It s a small enough area and quite secluded with that wall up - so I think they will be content enough as little chickens.
    Probably only needed one nest box though.
    Did you get your first egg in the nesting box? You would have been so excited to see it!! [​IMG]

6. Wizbop

Mar 27, 2010
    Greensboro, NC
    Yes, our first and the following three have all been in the nesting box. . . what a good girl we have!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by