Nesting box

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by EaeMre, Aug 11, 2015.

1. EaeMre

EaeMre Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2015
    Sharpsburg Ga
    A few of my chickens just started laying about 3 weeks ago. I have ten hens in my flock and three are now laying. My hens are sleeping in the nesting boxes. I have two coops attached to a penned area. Each coop has two nesting boxes and two perches. How do I stop them from sleeping in the boxes? Do I have enough boxes for ten hens? I have already found a crushed egg in a nest yesterday.

2. chickens r life

chickens r life Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2015
    The Golden State
    At night go to the nesting boxes and either squirt them with water or just toss them out of the nesting boxes (be sure they don't come right back when you close the door). That should help.

3. EaeMre

Aug 11, 2015
    Sharpsburg Ga
    Thanks, I will try that.

Do you know if 4 boxes is enough for 10 chickens?

4. chickens r life

Apr 13, 2015
    The Golden State
    Yes 4 boxes is definitely enough...

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I do not recommend squirting the nesting boxes with water.

Remove the birds from the nest after dark and place on roost, grasp them with hands around body to pin wings down,
    place feet firmly on roost and hold them there for a few seconds until they get stable. then slowly let go.
    Talk calmly, use just enough light to see keep it pointed up and away from roost and birds.

....or, much simpler, block the nests just before dusk, then uncover them well after dark.
    I rigged a hinged board to the nests and it was easy to close and open it at key times of day/night.

Are your roosts higher than the nests?
    They like to roost(sleep) as high as possible.

How long have they been roosting(sleeping) in the nests?

6. chickens r life

Apr 13, 2015
    The Golden State
    I apologize for not making what I said clear... I meant to Say "squirt the chicken with a little water if it's still in the nest at bedtime...

7. Spartan22

Spartan22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    North Canton, Ohio

I did this to couple of my chicken last fall, taking them off the nest and moving them to roosting perch and they got it after few nights. Last week I got new pullets that started sleeping in the nests. All I did were picked them up and moved them to the perch after dark, last 2 nights their already on roost ritual.

8. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

9. EaeMre

Aug 11, 2015
    Sharpsburg Ga

Thank you all for your tips. Last night we went out and removed them from the nesting boxes and waited till they were settled on the perches. My perches in one box are about 2 inches higher than the nesting boxes. The other coop is factory kit and same level as boxes. We will repeat every night till they get the hang of this. I am tired of dirty eggs.

We are excited, our 4th hen started to lay today! Only 6 more to go!

10. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Raise the roosts if at all possible.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by