Nesting box

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Beachykeen, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Beachykeen

Beachykeen Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2012
    SoCal
    Hello- my girls should start laying in March or April. My question is;should I wait until they start to lay before I put the nest box in the coop? I have read many posts that say to block off the nest so they don't get into the habit of sleeping in or roosting on the nest box. They seem to already have a spot they like to gather in on the coop floor and I'm thinking why fight nature. I will put a box there when they start to lay. What do you think?

2. dolphinlvr4

dolphinlvr4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Savannah ga
    Mine are going to start next mo too and I was also told to hold off on the box til they are close to laying. I plan on using 5 gal buckets so I can clean them easier. I just recently put just one in the coop on its side of course. They love it n use it off n on but for the most part they still use thier roost. My advice is to do ur boxes the first wk of march. That way they get used to them but don't get to comfy w them before they start laying. Good luck!

3. soot87

soot87 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2013
    Wait what's wrong with them sleeping in the next box?

4. carmelchickie

carmelchickie Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Poop on eggs lol you have to clean the nest boxes and the eggs alot more if they sleep there lol anyways you could place the next boxes in whenever really but its best to somehow block them off at night for a while just to make sure they don't get into that habit

5. dolphinlvr4

Jan 27, 2013
    Savannah ga
    So, since mine (I have 3) are getting ready in to lay. Should be in march, it's fine for them to sleep in the 5 gal bucket I use as a nesting box? Will that make the other two start laying elsewhere? I do plan on putting one more bucket in there next mo too. 2 buckets is plenty for only 3 hens right?

6. nbenevento

nbenevento Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2012
    From Southwestern, PA.
    1 bucket is plenty for all 3 hens. 5 or 6 hens will all share 1 nest without much problem.

7. dolphinlvr4

Jan 27, 2013
    Savannah ga
    That's good too know cuz I have 3 chicks that I'll add too my flock as soon as they are big enuff. So I'll have 2 buckets for 6 hens. My girls aren't the sharpest pencils in the box but they r very sweet. I figure I'll use 2 just to make sure they don't get lazy n lay an egg off their roost. Lol. My friend had a hen do that dailey for about a month! Uuuuug...

8. carmelchickie

carmelchickie Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Oh no I can only imagine what a drag that was!

9. Angel16

Angel16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello, i'm getting ready to lay hens very soon and wondered how long will it be after i get them till they lay?

10. ChckenBoy13

ChckenBoy13 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2013
    Claremont, NC
    I never have had problems with my chickens sleeping in the nesting boxes (it's a different story for my duck), so I would say go ahead and add them and see how it works out! If they start to sleep in them, block it off. If not, leave it open to them and see what they do! Good luck!
    Do you mean chicks? If you are getting chicks, it'll be about 6 months before they begin to lay. For more, click on the "Chicken Boy" in my signature!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by