1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Nesting boxes - aluminum, plastic, or galvanized steel?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by AshfordAcres, Mar 4, 2014.

1. AshfordAcres

AshfordAcres New Egg

Mar 2, 2014
    Shawnee, Oklahoma
    Hello! My husband and I are just starting new with chickens. We are to the point of adding nesting boxes to our coop and there are so many options! What have you found works best as far as less corrosion from the elements and chicken poop/pee? I have seen the plastic 5 gallon buckets, aluminum with wooden perches as well as galvanized steel and wooden perches. What have you found works best and what do the chickens like?

Thank you for your help and any input would be appreciated!

Courtney in Oklahoma [​IMG]

2. ClovisMan

ClovisMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2014
    New Braunfels, TX
    I bought the plastic nesting boxes from Tractor Supply. The are easy to remove and power wash if need be. I considered the galvanized traditional nesting boxes that come in sets of 4, 6,8, and 10, but found they were expensive and I'd have to pay shipping on top of that since I could not find any local sources. I never considered wood because they hold germs in the pourous wood. Lots of folks use them though...it just grosses me out. LOL

3. AshfordAcres

AshfordAcres New Egg

Mar 2, 2014
    Shawnee, Oklahoma
    Awesome. Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by