Nesting Boxes and Poop Boards

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ladybead, Feb 8, 2015.

1. ladybead

ladybead Out Of The Brooder

We have our barn cleaned out and ready to set up our nesting boxes (or whatever you call where they lay eggs) and the poop boards. I am just not sure how to set up the nesting boxes. I would assume there needs to be a gap between the wall and the poop board goes under it? Am I correct. I have been searching the forums for some photos of how the setup should be, but really can't find a good example. Any suggestions/photos would be appreciated. Rose

2. GNRMorgans

GNRMorgans Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2013
    Chase,BC Canada
    The Roosts with Poop boards underneath are usually on an opposite wall to the nest boxes. As they sleep on the roosts - they do most of their pooping, hence the poop boards. The nest boxes are just for laying, and you want them NOT to roost on them otherwise the boxes will get messy and you'll have dirty eggs. Usually chickens like to roost high, and nest low, so your nest boxes will be lower down on the wall than the roosts. [​IMG]
    In this picture, our roosts with poop boards underneath are to the right, and the nest boxes are to the left. Good luck with your build!

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    You could put the nests under the poop/roost boards, I've seen it done that way mine are across from each other.

[​IMG]

4. ladybead

Thank you @gnrmorgans I now understand. You put sticks for them to roost on with the poop boards below. I didn't know that they slept on the roosts. How wide should the roosts be?
    Rose

5. ladybead

Thank you for the photos they really help @apart
    we are working on them this week Rose

6. GNRMorgans

GNRMorgans Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2013
    Chase,BC Canada
    No problem - I use good ole fashioned 2x4's and they sleep on the 4" side. If you don't get much in the way of winter, you can go narrow side up. The wide side up for roosting allows them to sit more on top of their feet and keep them from getting frost bitten.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

8. ladybead

Thank you for all the advice. I really want a clean coop with clean eggs. Rose

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by