Nesting boxes bedding material

kbmtcastle

Hatching
8 Years
May 9, 2011
My chickens pull everything out of their boxes. Hay or pine shavings. The never last. Haven't had any broken eggs but was wondering why they did this

Well it depends on what is going on. Have they layed before? Is there a new something inside thats making them nervous? Maybe they do not like the area the nest is? Here is what mine looks like and they keep it pretty clean. I scoop up some chips but none to speak of.

HERE is Rockie laying first thing in the Afternoon

Thanks for the reply! We raised them from chicks and they were laying great in their straw beds. Then in the fall the just started pulling it out. I changed to pine shaving to see if they liked that better but nope.

Put a bigger front edge on the front of the boxes. I was having the same problem, went from a 2" in lip to a 6" case closed. Not to say that it will keep all of it in but a good percentage. When they kick around to form a nest some pine shaving comes out and they will physically remove some straw from adjoining boxes but for the most part no problem.

Put a bigger front edge on the front of the boxes. I was having the same problem, went from a 2" in lip to a 6" case closed. Not to say that it will keep all of it in but a good percentage. When they kick around to form a nest some pine shaving comes out and they will physically remove some straw from adjoining boxes but for the most part no problem.

This is what I did. I put the front barrier higher and still use straw. I get a few straw out in the sand but over all it pretty much stays in place. But I don't put it deep. I think the deep stuff is a waste.

This is what I did. I put the front barrier higher and still use straw. I get a few straw out in the sand but over all it pretty much stays in place. But I don't put it deep. I think the deep stuff is a waste.

Agreed, I use about 2" of pine shavings and a handful or so of straw. That way they can make the "prototypical" nest. Like I said the only way the straw gets out of mine are the chickens moving from one box to the next or their feeble attempt to place it on their backs.

We use recycled shredded paper, We put 3-4 inches in the boxes, the girls flatten it down. We get 4-5 eggs in one box without any broken eggs.

Back
Top Bottom