Nesting boxes, do they HAVE to be next to each other?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by GlenwoodFarm, Sep 3, 2009.

1. GlenwoodFarm

GlenwoodFarm Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2009
    Montclair, New Jersey
    Hey all! So we are just finishing framing our coop, and we would like to add 2 more nesting boxes while we are framing(these are boxes accessible from outside). All the nesting boxes will look the same, and we plan to put fake eggs in all of em, but 3 will be on one side, and the other 2 will be by the door. Will this set-up work? or do they HAVE to be all in the same area, it's a small coop, the boxes are just on perpendicular. (The extra 2 can't fit in the same spot as the 3 as there is a big window, but we want the extra boxes so we have room to expand on our flock).

2. jrleader99

jrleader99 Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't think that it much matters because they will lay in whatever nest box they like best. That is, if, they lay in a nest box at all. I usually get 2 in a nest box (the same one) and 2 on the floor in opposite corners of the coop.[​IMG]

3. GlenwoodFarm

GlenwoodFarm Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2009
    Montclair, New Jersey
    great! thanks [​IMG]

4. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

no, they don't have to be next to each other. I find it easier to clean though having them all in one area, but I have a few that were so determined to lay elsewhere that i gave in and put them nest boxes where they prefer to lay.

5. newchik715

newchik715 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Washington
    spirited away...my dd is terrified of that one but wont stop watching it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by