1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

nesting boxes done

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by IndiesChix, Oct 27, 2014.

1. IndiesChix

IndiesChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2014
    Indiana
    My husband finished the nesting boxes and they are installed into the coop. [​IMG]We did add linoleum and have a divided up the coop so chickens in an area of 9×11 and remaining area for feed, supplies, and my garden tools. Its coming along slowly, but by spring it should be ready. I'm including a picture of the coop from outside and what will be the run area. [​IMG]We still need to add ventilation, the little door for chickens to go out and the whole back fence for outside run. When the white picket fence and pergola where built I had no idea that I would be wanting chickens. So, yes my chickens will be in with my garden beds. And I will have each of the garden beds fenced in so the chickens won't eat all my veggies. They will have plenty of room to roam in between the beds. And there will be a gate and fence all around to keep them in. I do worry that the white picket fence won't hold them in, that they will probably just jump up and over. I do have a question about the ventilation. My husband said he will add a vent at top on coop but only on one end, from what I read on here about ventialtion, we should add a vent at each end of building right? The windows are removable and the solid door will also have a screen door so that will stay open in warm months.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Very nice!! Great job on the build!!

Your chickens eventually will fly over this fence. Clipping wings may not stop them with such a low fence. So you may need to extend it up a bit higher if you can.

For ventilation, I would put in vents at either side of the peaks. About 1 square foot per bird. So I would say about a small window sized vent on either side of your eaves.

Very nice coop!!!

Oh, and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. IndiesChix

IndiesChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2014
    Indiana
    Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking we will have to extend the fence up with chicken wire. Ill let the husband know that two vents will be best and to make them larger then we had originally planned. I love this forum, anytime I have a question I just type it into the search box and always get am answer.

4. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

Beautiful job!

x2 on the ventilation.

Humidity in a coop is a bigger problem than most realize.

Try to plan on adding as much ventilation as possible to avoid future issues.

There is a LOT of great information on this site to help understand the need.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by