Nesting boxes outside NO COOP??? PICS ON PG2

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Hangin Wit My Peeps, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Ok I am trying to find info for my friend who is new to chickens and her hubby has built her some fine nesting boxes outside on their wood fence but no hen house yet. He will build an enclosure later before winter. Does anyone else house their chickens just in nesting boxes outdoors and no hen house? Any info that you can share with her would be great! Should she build an enclosure right away? Her location is KY. Please share your opinions and I will forward this link for her to read. THANK YOU! She does have a fenced in yard.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  2. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

She doesn't need a new hen hen house; she needs a new husband.

3. basicliving

basicliving Keepin' the sunny side up

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    I don't think she'll likely have chickens for very long. Everything loves to eat chicken - and yard fences can keep very few of them out. Chickens with no safe shelter - particularly at night - make fast, easy, tasty meals for a very wide range of predators.

Penny

4. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Quote:[​IMG]

5. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I've heard of people letting their chickens roost in the trees at night... but if they are sleeping in their nest boxes (and even if they ARE in the trees) they are subject to being eaten by some nocturnal hunter looking for a fat juicy chicken snack [​IMG]

6. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    She needs a coop and a run for MAX. protection from predators to SAY the least .

They need to feel secure or that could disrupt the laying process . BUILD THAT COOP & RUN as soon as possible . LIKE YESTERDAY ...........

How many chickens does she have ?

7. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    She will have five chickens

8. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:She does not want to let 5 chickens run loose . She wont have them long .

9. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    She doesn't need a new hen hen house; she needs a new husband.

Her hubby is a very sweet guy...they are very new to chickens so good advise/ideas are very helpful for them right now. Thanks much!​

10. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Quote:Her hubby is a very sweet guy...they are very new to chickens so good advise/ideas are very helpful for them right now. Thanks much!

I'm glad he's so sweet, that means he'll get on it this weekend and have it built in no time right?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by