1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Nesting boxes

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dmaldet, May 5, 2016.

1. dmaldet

dmaldet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2016
    So we are working on preparing coop for new chics. We have never done this so I keep asking you guys questions. My grandsons are keeping for hens and I am keeping ten. What type of nesting boxes do you suggest, how many do we need and what is the best placement for them. I did see plastic ones that looked easy but if easy isn't the better way please inform me.

Thanks again for all the help and information I always recieve.

2. Angiebubs

Angiebubs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    I was doing a spring cleaning of my coops last weekend and jus thinking to myself how much I loved my nestboxes LOL The gray plastic ones ARE the way to go! I lifted them off the screws (the have holes that slide down onto screws) thumped them out, then used bleach wipes and viola! cleaned in under 5 mins. I started out with the wood boxes and they were always a mess and never felt clean.

3. dmaldet

Apr 21, 2016
    Was is the ratio of nesting boxes to hens???

4. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    The recommended ratio is 1 box for every 4 laying hens. If you are keeping 10 i would personally have just 2 boxes, since they more often than not pile into 1 box! I've used plastic basins as nest boxes in the past, but these days the girls have opted for laying in a corner of the coop (on a bed of grass clippings and leaves) - it works for them, and for me, so I've removed the basins.

CT

5. Angiebubs

Angiebubs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    I have 6 boxes in my main coop with 19 hens, and my smaller coops with 4-5 hens each have 2 boxes. That way, if you have a broody hen, they can leave her alone.

6. dmaldet

Apr 21, 2016
    I don't know why I thought they would each need their own box. What does it mean go broody?

7. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    When a hen goes broody, it means that hormonally she is ready to sit and hatch eggs. Some breeds go broody often, others not at all (typically commercial breeds, where a break in egg laying is not desirable) and some now and again.

When a hen begins to go broody, she will stay longer in the nest when laying her eggs - the duration increases with each day, until she decides its time to sit on the nest (regardless of whether there are eggs there or not) and will not roost with the flock. If you try and approach her, she will likely screech at you and puff her feathers up in an attempt to defend her eggs (and maybe give you a good pecking as well [​IMG]). She will only get off the nest occasionally to poop and eat / drink a little and will be in one heck of a bad temper.

Hope that helps

CT

2 people like this.
  8. azjustin

azjustin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2016
    Tucson, AZ
    We've had 1 box per hen, and they all cram into one box.

We've had 2 boxes per 5 hens, and they all cram into one box.

We now have one large box for 25 hens, and they're happy [​IMG]

25 in one box works, you just have to collect the eggs more than once a day so they don't get crushed. I've read that golf balls and such will encourage them to lay somewhere else if you don't like that process.

Good luck.

1 person likes this.
  9. bigt447

bigt447 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2015
    I have 10 hens that lay regularly in 4 of my 6 boxes.

10. DreamsInPink

DreamsInPink Chillin' With My Peeps

What kind of boxes are they?? Do you have pictures?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by