1. R@ndy

[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Taneytown
    What size should nesting boxes be and do the chickens prefer a certain height off the floor?

2. don't know, been trying for 2 years to get mine to lay in nests, they prefer the floor. marrie

3. ChrystalGail

ChrystalGail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2007
    Casa Grande, AZ
    Mine lay in theirs, but I have theirs on the floor so maybe that is the key. I also have a decoy egg that shows them where I want them to lay. I've noticed with people who have free range chickens that they usually find some place on the ground as well to lay in. I would suggest putting them as close to the ground as you can. As for size, mine are 12" x 12" and I've had no problem with it being too small, even for my cochin that I used to have.

Good luck!

4. Chickenfeet

Chickenfeet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2009
    Cleveland, Ga.
    I have my nesting boxes about 12 inches from floor. It's a double stacker and they all tend to lay in the same box, on the lower level. 10 hens and 10 nest boxes and they all lay in one boxes. Crazy chicks!!![​IMG]

5. R@ndy

[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Taneytown
    Thank ya much... I think I will try 12" off the floor and 12 wide and 18" deep [​IMG]

6. ChrystalGail

ChrystalGail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2007
    Casa Grande, AZ
    Quote:I know what you mean. Mine do the same thing. It's a little frustrating that you put so much time into building pleanty of nesting boxes and they all use the one! My girls make quite a ruckus when there is someone else in their spot when they want to lay. I built 7 boxes on my last coop, but this time I'm only building 2.

7. Chicken Rustler

Chicken Rustler Grabs em n runs

I have read (i think on here) that boxes should be 12x12x14h. I think they also say at least 12" off floor. I have mine 30" off floor and the girls are doing fine and they came from where the boxes were on the ground.

8. ChickenNoodle

ChickenNoodle Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2009
    I put a golf ball in my nesting box initially, so they'd get the right idea. Mine all lay in the box. I don't know if it was actually due to the golf ball or not. Chicken psychology! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by