Nesting boxes...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by AnniesEggFarm, Apr 5, 2009.

1. AnniesEggFarm

AnniesEggFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Does anyone have great ideas for CHEAP, easy to clean nesting boxes??? My husband I think has gone on strike, I have been asking him to build me some.... [​IMG]

Jenn

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

How about 5 gal buckets turned on their sides. Home Depot sells them for less than $3 each.

Imp

3. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    yup 5 gallon buckets--I saw somewhere on here that someone used carboard boxes! disposables? LOL

4. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    I use tidy cat litter containers the yellow ones that are rectangle with the red or blue lids. You cut the folding part off and save the piece that holds the lids on. I posted on crigslist and got alot of them FREE. Even my full sized chickens like them.

5. Dr.Doorlock

Dr.Doorlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Garland, Texas
    I got enough culled wood to build 6 nest boxes for $20. I bought culled wood from Lowes and ignored the warps and blemishes. Take a look at the links below.

6. agirly4chicks

agirly4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    Hamilton, Georgia USA
    Lowe's has gray 5 gallon buckets for around 2 dollars.

7. Chicken03

Chicken03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Western Pa
    Milk crates work great.

8. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Go to your local bakery or deli. Ours have food grade plastic buckets, that are more 'squatty' (large in dia.) than reg. 5 gal. I get them for my honey, I pay 1$ each for them..

9. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    I bought 3 cat litter boxes at Walmart for $11 each. They are pretty big ones and have the hood. My girls seem to like them as they have alot of privacy ! [​IMG] [​IMG]

There easy clean out with a little water and bleach now and then. I just put about 3 inches of pine shavings in there and they seem to be happy with them. [​IMG]

10. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    I was given an old wooden drawer by a friend. Nice old thick hard wood. Works great. And it's big enough that multiple chickens can hang out together inside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by