Nesting Boxes

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by raylor, Sep 4, 2009.

1. raylor

raylor Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2009
    Can I use hardware cloth for the floor of my nesting boxes? Thought it would make it a little lighter for me to hang and easier to keep clean. Someone recommended putting a piece of disposable cardboard in to hold shavings.
    Replies would be greatly appreciated as I need to get them made tomorrow. Thanks!

2. Preservation Acres

Preservation Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I bought a couple of heavy duty "L" shaped braces to hang my nesting boxes on the outside. With wire mesh, they might freeze their butts off.

3. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    I don't see why not - the cardboard idea to hold in the shavings/bedding is a good one. The clucks like to move the bedding around to suit them (or kick it out altogether). I think a sturdy hardware cloth floor would be a fine option for cleaning, etc.

4. raylor

raylor Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2009
    Oh Yeah, forgot to mention that. These are completely inside the coup. The bottom half of the coup is concrete block, so they will have a back wall to protect them from that cold wall and make up in stability for the lack of a solid floor.
    Just wondered why no one seems to use wire for the floors and thought there might be some drawback I hadn't considered.
    Thanks for the quick replies.

5. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I have done the cardboard thing before. I even used old house shingles. Easy to clean.

6. Preservation Acres

Preservation Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I say go for it. It'll work just fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by