nesting boxes

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by KDOGG331, Jan 20, 2008.

1. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Chicken Obsessed

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    i always thought chickens were supposed to each have their own nesting box. but lots of things say one nesting box for every 4 chickens. i find that amazing. i never have really looked it up. no chickens yet but i hope to soon have some. also do chickens smell? and what about bird flu? sorry, i'm kinda paranoid. thanks.

2. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    I have 19 nests and right now they are all laying in one nest. Go figure.

3. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Chicken Obsessed

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    wow. that's amazing. how many chickens? it almost seems like a waste to have that many boxes if they only use one. lol. thanks.

4. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    In the main henhouse I have 6 nests with 21 hens. I will go in during the day and each nest will have a hen. Later in the day, all the eggs will be in 1-2 nests. Just what a chicken does. I look at it as natural instinct. A nest full is more likely to be taken up by a setting hen then a nest with just a couple eggs.

Matt

5. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

My dad's birds (for whatever reason) are preferring buckets over nesting boxes! Obviously, there are fairly free-range. But once the word was out that a bucket (on its side) was available, the hens were lining up to brood![​IMG]

6. MamaheninKY

MamaheninKY Out Of The Brooder

I have 8 hens all laying in one nest. They take turns which makes it difficult for me to choose the correct time to collect eggs but I keep checking back until no hen is on the nest. Here's the strange part: The "nesting box" they are actually laying in is none other than a pet crate with the door removed that I set in on top of their actual chicken pen. They prefer to use this nesting box over the other. Maybe they feel it provides more privacy. I don't know their thinking process but it works.

7. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    I have about 16 hens right now and they are using 3-4 of the nests. I have had as many as 60 hens and they used most of the nests.

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    KDOGG331 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by