nesting boxes

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Speed, May 18, 2011.

1. Speed

Speed Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2011
    The Berwicks
    I built my coop a few months ago, the birds have 2.5 cf of space not including the nesting boxes. I blocked off the nesting boxes (temporarily) till they are ready to lay eggs. I have the framing and exterior of the nesting box done and mounted on the outside of the coop. The measurements are 5ft 10in long X 1ft deep, the height is 1ft tapering to 10in. The top is hinged for outside access. I heard I could leave it with no dividers and just put hay across the bottom and the hens will use it just that way. But I think I would rather put dividers in, just not sure how far apart I should space them. I have 12 hens that will be using the nesting box. Thanks for the help.

2. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

I like to make mine a bit deeper than 12" but you should be okay. If I were you, I would just divide it into 5 compartments that will be just about 14" wide each. Another option would be to divide out varrious sizes and let the hens choose the ones they like. Maybe 2-12", 2-14", and 1 18" nests...

Good luck and [​IMG]

3. Speed

Speed Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2011
    The Berwicks
    Since they are mounted on the outside, measuring from the inside wall its 13 inches deep. I thought about making them different sized. i'll make the outside 12" then a 14" then middle at 18" then a 14" and then 12" it would look like [_][__][___][__][_] . thanks for the great idea. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by