Nesting Boxes?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by JodyJo, Jun 25, 2011.

1. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    So I have my roost and nesting boxes about equal in height, last night I went out to close them up for the night, they were all sleeping in the boxes...should I move all the boxes down to just off the floor, say 18"...they are pooping in them, they are only about 11 weeks old, not laying yet, but I don't want them getting in the habit of pooping and sleeping there...am I correct?

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    You definetly wanna make sure that your roosts are higher than the boxes!! I don't think you have to bring them that low though!!

3. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    I would close off the nest boxes for now if you can. The younger ones sometimes prefer to sleep in the bedding instead of roosting, no matter where the nest boxes are.

4. JodyJo

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Quote:during the day they nest in the shavings, its only at night they go to the boxes, I was wanting to move them lower anyhow...we put them up last year when I started being a chicken mom, but all 9 I had, ended up being roos! So we never used them...now I have 19, 16 are pullets!

Thanks!

5. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    Block off the openings to the nesting boxes until the chickens are old enough to start laying. You do not want them to get into the habit of sleeping in the
    nesting boxes.

6. JodyJo

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Quote:I think we will move them down, thanks for all the advice....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by