nesting boxes

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ginger67, Aug 18, 2011.

1. ginger67

ginger67 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2011
    Not sure if this is the right place to put this, but... I went to get a bale of straw hay for my nesting boxes. currently have pine shavings. The guy at the feed store said he used alfalfa hay. The chickens eat it and was good to add to their diet. I wanted advice before proceeding. I am very new to chickens. about 1 month now. scared to make a bad mistake.

2. Diamond Wire Farms

Diamond Wire Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    Placerville, CA
    I use shavings or grass hay in the nest boxes. Alfalfa would disappear in about 30 seconds. It's one of their favorite treats.

3. CarlaS

CarlaS Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2011
    We use either straw or red cedar chips. Have fun! Chickens are really fun.

4. Muzzie

Muzzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:cedar is toxic to chickens use pine shavings instead

5. Papa Rooster

Papa Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2010
    i used 2 use pine straw but my rooster thought it was for him a strew it everywhere.......

SO I KILLED HIM AHAHAHAHAHA

nah just kiddin i just moved rotated him with another rooster puttinghim in a coop with a lot of broody hens till he learned how to not mess with a nest.

6. Cakela

Cakela Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2011
    Southern New Hampshire
    My girls use cheap grass hay and they love it, they don't eat it much but they wouldn't nest with straw or wood shavings.

Alfalfa hay is expensive ( where I live at least ) and unless you're feeding it to other animals could probably go for cheaper/lower quality hay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by