Nesting boxes

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by NewKid101, Mar 11, 2012.

1. NewKid101

NewKid101 New Egg

Mar 11, 2012
    Hello!
    This is my first time to post so I hope I am doing it in the right place. I am planing on having 20 hens and I was wondering if each one needed there own nesting box? as well as how high should there nest be above the floor of the coop?
    Thanks for you help!!

2. juliecarkhuff

juliecarkhuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2011
    I have 24 hens and 8 nesting boxes. they use one of the boxes and a corner of the coop.

3. sianara

sianara Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Central MA
    The general rule of thumb is 1 nest box for every 4-5 hens. I have four nest boxes and 13 hens and honestly they usually just use the two "favorites". It's like they think "hey there's an egg in here, so I'm going to lay one in here too", even if there are two other hens scrunched into the same box at the moment or if the other three are empty... [​IMG]

4. Nsampsel

Nsampsel Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2012
    East Central Ohio
    This is my first attempt at raising chicks & ducks & building a coop as well. I have a mix of full-sized & bantums. Do I need different sized nest boxes in my coop for the different sized birds? And how big should the boxes be? I have an old kitchen cupboard with 4 doors & 2-3 shelves in each door that I was considering cutting part of the shelves out of to make dividers between boxes. Plus the back panel would come off to attach that side to the coop & I can use pieces of that for dividers as well. And would it be better to use floor tile or shelf/contact paper in the bottom of the boxes?

5. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine are 12"X12"X12" with Berber carpet and pine shavings in them. My RIRs and araucana banties both use them. I would not use floor tile in them.

6. Nsampsel

Mar 6, 2012
    East Central Ohio
    How do you keep the carpet clean in the nest boxes?

7. KDK1

The carpet has shavings on top of it. It's been in there for 6 months and not soiled yet. If it does get dirty I'll just cut another piece.

8. Nsampsel

Mar 6, 2012
    East Central Ohio
    I don't have ready access to carpeting, but I do have the pine bedding & can get straw or hay. What would you suggest in place of the carpeting as long as something was going over top of it? Would the vinyl floor tile or contact paper be ok then?

9. KDK1

Ahh! When you said "floor tile", I automatically thought ceramic. Yeah, vinyl tile, sheet vinyl, painted plywood, unpainted plywood... anything will work. I just put the carpet in there cause they have the tendency to "bowl" the shavings, exposing the plywood underneath.

10. Nsampsel

Mar 6, 2012
    East Central Ohio
    Ok...ty :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by