Nesting Boxes

sunnydee

Songster
11 Years
Jul 17, 2008
Maine
After looking at what seems to be billions of desings, I have noticed that most nesting boxes have access doors from the outside. Why is this? Do you have to have them? I only have 6 chicks and was hoping I can just go in and get em! No rooster here...at least I hope not! Only looking for eggs....dont want no baby chicks.

thanks to all that reply!

makes it easy to collect the eggs for you. no you do not have to have them. it's a preference thing. you can just go in and get 'em!
big_smile.png
best wishes with your egg adventure!

thank you! I was hoping for that answer! Am struggling enough making this darn coop and didnt want to have to add that too! gotta love em!
wink.png

I orginally wanted an outside door to collect eggs but it seemed more trouble than it was worth so we didn't do it. I thought I'd have trouble getting the hens to stop pecking at me or the rooster attacking me when I went in their house. They all leave me alone and move away from me when I slowly walk up to the next to collect eggs. It might depend however on the type of chickens you have. Right now, I don't have any broodys so once they deposit their egg, they're outta there. Makes it easy on me.

Quote:
do what is easiest for YOU, like mentioned by MissBentleleyboy, the chickens are going to be fine and get outta the way, unless they go broody. collect often. not having a rooster will cause them to see you as the rooster and they might follow you a bit, get underfoot, but they shoo if you shoo them.

p.s. the first egg tastes the best!
tongue.png

I don't have a backdoor to my nesting boxes. I like to go in and visit my girls, so I'm better "front door company."

My dad uses buckets turned on their sides. His hens love them!

Well..my chicks are only 4 weeks old on Monday, so I have awhile yet for eggs, but yes, I plan on collecting daily! these chicks are pets, so hopefully they will be friendly. they already know when they hear us coming we have some yummy treats for em!

It doesnt matter. The outside door is a gadget thing to save space and eliminate the need to traipse around in the coop.
Me, I like to go in the coop and keep an eye on things.
Its where they live, so to speak. I need to look around, daily.

My coop is almost finished (should be tomorrow
big_smile.png
). I decided against an outside access to the nests because that was just another opening that predators could take advantage of. Another opening that I'd have to worry over my young children keeping closed and locked.

In addition, like PPs have mentioned, I prefer the idea of going in to get the eggs since that will get us in there and checking on things, spending quality time with the hens
tongue.png
, just in general making sure things are ok with them.

Back
Top Bottom