1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

nesting boxes

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by karri25, May 31, 2007.

1. karri25

karri25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2007
    Arkansas
    We built our coop and were so tired that we put off building the nesting boxes. We've gon ewithout for two months now. Am I an idiot or are they neccessary???? My chickens do fine without them but of course they aren't laying yet either. If they are needed, do you have any quickie ideas to building some. Cheap to free is my price range. Would milk crates work????

2. mosier

mosier Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I am new to chickens (just got my little fuzzballs today) and haven't started building my henhouse yet but I am planning to use a milk crate (I just have four). I've visited a handful of coops and many of them use milk crates for the nest boxes. One coop just had them on the floor, another coop had it hanging on the wall. As long as you put some bedding into it they are fine to use.

Here's a photo of one that I took: http:[email protected]/494256922/

3. karri25

karri25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2007
    Arkansas
    Cool! Thank sfor the photo. I think I have 3-4 milk crates laying around I'll just stick them out in the coop!
    Congrats on getting your new little fuzzballs. Be careful as they are very addictive!!!

4. chickedeefarm

chickedeefarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2007
    Gavilan Hills
    I have been using the milk crates as well and they are great! The chickens seem to like them. I just keep mine on the floor.

and yes...little fuzzballs are very a addictive [​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by