Nesting boxes...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by silvercat76, Feb 16, 2013.

1. silvercat76

silvercat76 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2011
    Mountaidale
    I see everyone using different things as nesting boxes. I have one made out of ply wood and I'm looking into revamping my coup in the spring time. And have started looking into getting milk crates and will add a lip to the front to keep eggs from being rolled out. I have read how metal is best wood is ok but can harbor bugs but that I see how people use a five gallon bucket. So I think milk crates should work as well. Does anyone see this a failed idea?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    My favorite nest is a plastic bin with a scooped out spot on the front. Has a lip below the scooped out spot. Milk crates would be fine. I wouldn't want metal because of condensation in this humid climate.

3. silvercat76

silvercat76 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2011
    Mountaidale
    The metal nesting boxes are expensive and ti find old ones that are in good shape are far away from me. One of my customer is planning on getting a dozen crates at no cost. I'm thinking of trading him crates for eggs or paying him something for them. I looked at the crates they sell at Walmart but they just don't seem like they are strong enough to last. The true commercial grade milk crates will be better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by