1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Nesting Construction and Eggs

Discussion in 'Quail' started by first_cap_fire, Jun 13, 2011.

1. first_cap_fire

first_cap_fire New Egg

Mar 30, 2011
    I am interested in raising quail but would like to know what is the best size to build a cage for them. I have read that a 10"x24" is good for 2 pairs of Bobwhites. I would also like to know if only one egg is laid per day per hen.

Thanks

Mark

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    10X24 IS ABSOLUTE MINIMUM FOR 1 PAIR OF BOBS. HENS DO NOT NECESSARILY LAY AN EGG A DAY... THEY ARE SEASONAL LAYERS BY DESIGN, MATURE HENS ARE CAPABLE OF LAYING AN EGG A DAY UNTIL FINISHED WITH THE CLUTCH. THEY DO NOT LAY ENDLESSLY AS COTURNIX OR CHICKENS MIGHT, BUT RATHER IN CLUTCHES LATE SPRING AND END OF SUMMER OR EARLY FALL WITH THE SPRING CLUTCH USUALLY BEING LARGER THAN THE FALL CLUTCH

3. For BEST results give each bird at least 1 square foot apiece. I personally would never cramp em up like that. I am currently giving my corturnix just over 2 square foot apiece.

Extra room with some brush or "hiding places" to mingle in seams to promote laying in Gamble quail and I would assume that Bobwhites like a little cover as well.

4. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:DO NOT USE COTURNIX RECOMENDATIONS FOR NEW WORLD QUAIL SPECES... IT DOESNT WORK OUT SO WELL [​IMG]

FOR COLONY PENS 1 SQ/FT PER BIRD ARE COTURNIX FIGURES.... 4 SQ FT PER BIRD IS NEW WORLD SPECES. IN PAIRS THEY WILL TOLERATE CLOSE QUARTERS WELL... IN SAME SEX PAIRS ROOS MAY TOLERATE IT, BUT SOONER OR LATER HENS WILL NOT AND THEN "IT'S ON!" AND IF LEFT TO THEIR OWN DEVICES YOUR PAIR PEN WILL BE COME A SOLITARY PEN.... THIS IS ALSO A POSSIBILITY WITH OPPOSITE PAIRS AS SOME HENS CAN BE VERY MEAN AT TIMES.

MANY OF THE GQF PROFESSIONAL BREEDER BATTERIES ARE SIZED 10X 18 OR 10X 24... WITH TILTED FLOORS... THEY ARE DESIGNED FOR A SINGLE OPPOSITE SEX BREEDING PAIR OF NEW WORLD SPECES QUAIL (BOBS, GAMBELS, VALLEYS, BLUE SCALED, BENSONS) MOUNTAINS AND MEARNES ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT IN NEARLY EVERY ASPECT OF REQUIRED CARE AND ARE SERIOUS SPECIALTY SPECES.

ALWAYS REMEMBER THAT NEW WORLD SPECES ARE AGRESSIVE REAL GAMEBIRDS AND OFTEN TIMES DICTATE THEIR OWN HOUSING PLANS BECAUSE OF THIS... IF YOU PLAN TO KEEP THESE SPECES FLEXIBILITY AND CLOSE OBSERVATION WILL BE NEEDED THROUGHOUT THE LIVES OF THE ANIMALS THEMSELVES... SADLY WHAT WORKED FINE FOR THE LAST 3 YRS MAY NOW BECOME A NO GO SITUATION... A QUAIL DIVORCE IF YOU WILL? THEY ARE UNPREDICTABLE AT TIMES AND OFTEN THROW LIL WRENCHES IN YOUR PLANS...JUST TAKE IT 1 DAY AT A TIME AND DONT BE SURPRIZED WHEN IT HAPPENS

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    A 10"x24" cage for 2 pairs of adult Bobwhite quail would be barbaric! These are living creatures and the least you can do is offer them some space for cripes sakes! They will kill each other in there! I have a climate where I can have an aviary setting for tons of freedom for my Bobs, and while it is not desireable in wet climes or a prefered method for many folks, the least you can do if you are going to cage them is allow them to at least turn around!! As JJ has just said here, give them ATLEAST 4 square feet of space per bird, more if you can. And while some professional breeders may keep their breeding quail in small cages, this is not recommened for the backyard first timer. They are living and feeling creatures, not laying machines. And NEVER keep two pair of breeding Bobwhites together. EVER! You will come out to dead birds.

Sorry for this outburst...I am not in a good mood today. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  6. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    much more space is needed, for bobs especially, they tend to be....rough lol. i have 5 coturnix and they have 6'x2'x2' coop, way more space then they need, but they love it

for 4 quail i would suggest at least a 4'x2' pen, maybe split in half for an outdoor area and an indoor area

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by