Nesting duck help

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jerseynew, May 3, 2017.

1. jerseynew

jerseynew Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2017
    Channel Islands
    Hi all!
    I was wondering if anyone could help. I have 9 ducks, 3 male and 6 lovely ladies 2 of which are nesting. One has been sensible and is in the coop hatching everyone's eggs, including a couple of chook eggs. The other has decided to nest across the road in a field where artichokes are grown - good taste! However I always lock chooks and ducks up at night due to dog attacks in the past. I would like to move Crazy Daisy from the field into the coop. I have read it's not advisable to move a nesting duck though. Does anyone have any ideas? TIA

2. Messica

Messica Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2016
    Minnesota
    Safety always trumps nesting! I wouldn't hesitate to move or disrupt entirely and then I'd take measures to make sure she can't do it again.

On a different note, that's a lot of drakes for the number of hens you have. Maybe she was trying to find relief away from the males and that's why she chose a spot so far away?

3. jerseynew

Apr 19, 2017
    Channel Islands
    I know it's not the best ratio I originally got 4 ducklings. 3 turned out to be male with one female, an even worse ratio. Yes, I could have returned the males but I got them from a farm and having raised them from little could not return them knowing what their fate would b [​IMG] TBH. So I got her remain females. She would probably b better off in the coop as the pond is close and the males spend most of their time in the bigger pond and field behind it.
    Thx so much tho. I thought that would b the right thing to do [​IMG]

4. DwayneNLiz

DwayneNLiz ...lost... Premium Member

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    if you want her to keep setting take the nesting material as well, she may return or it may 'break' her

also be careful with a duck sitting on chicken and duck eggs, once they start hatching she will probably get up after a couple days of hatching leaving the remaining eggs behind

chickens take 21 days, ducks 28, so you may want to take some away or be ready with a back up incubator

Good luck!!!

5. jerseynew

Apr 19, 2017
    Channel Islands
    I have moved her I hope successfully! I took whatever nesting material with her and the eggs. She did run a bit amok in the coop but I managed to guide her back to her nest. Fingers crossed!
    I have also managed to thrive the chook eggs and put them under my broody hen!

6. DwayneNLiz

DwayneNLiz ...lost... Premium Member

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    great news! and good luck!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by